Wednesday, September 17, 2008

My First Wedding


Just a few weeks after receiving my certification, I received a phone call from a young bride who wanted me to marry her and her beloved - that day! It would be a simple ceremony in their backyard - no attendants, no flowers, no rings, and no guests except for her parents. I told her that I really needed a little time to prepare the ceremony. We agreed to hold it the next day. In that time I was able to create a brief, but meaningful and joyful ceremony, the bride and groom bought rings and a white sundress for her, and the bride's family set up a ceremony and reception site at the American Legion, complete with flowers, balloons, and refreshments. About two dozen guests showed up for the wedding that almost wasn't!

I learned that the hastiness of the wedding was due to the fact that the Mexican groom's visa was about to expire. Never-the-less, it was apparent that this couple was very much in love, and all of the bride's family and friends were pleased with the match. The ceremony was simple, but I know they will always remember the vows they made to each other that day, in which they said: "I give you my hand, my heart, and my love, from this day forward, for the rest of my life."

1 comment:

Julie Laudicina, Celebrant! said...

Emily,
As a fellow celebrant, I wish you well on your new vocation. Your first wedding was probably a bit like mine...unbelievable, rewarding, and an inspiration to do this work...more and more. All the best,
Julie Laudicina